Sunday, November 29, 2009

Databases and Documents

After basically wrapping up the post, Documenting Information, I got into a discussion with my family's (on hiatus) genealogist about the best method for recording information and keeping track of where it comes from, what it is, etc.

First off, I was recommend to create a unique reference number for each individual to attach to their associate data, be it the gravestone inscription, photographs of grave site, history book entry, newspaper article or other.

So, that was though out for my reference numbers.

Name: FoxCem
Grave: 001
Singular marker: -0
Shared marker: -1
Not buried here: * (pre-erected marker, cenotaph)
Problem record: †(duplicate marker, illegible, unmarked)

So for example:

WilNor069-0 = Wild Rose North Cemetery, Grave 69, Single marker

FoxCem078-4* = Foxdale Cemetery, Grave 78, 4th listing on shared marker, Individual not buried at grave site

HolTri089-0†= Holy Trinity Anglican Cemetery, Grave 89, Single marker, Problem record

Unfortunately, when new records are added, either new burials or learned of from another source beyond the physical gravestone record, the "grave number" won't be the grave site's actually order in the graveyard anymore.

Then the discussion moved onto what type of information I would be collecting which would dictate what type of database I would need to build. Access was mentioned, and when I checked for it on the Dell (essentially the "shared" computer in the household) Windows Office Home and Student 2007 was installed which means no Access.

But I decided to click on OneNote (being curious as to what it was) and went, gasp! This is awesome! The introduction visual is very good, the Notebook is basically your cabinet or notebook, Sections are the individual file folder or those sticky tabs that people stick into overwhelming textbooks, and Pages are the individual pages within a file.

It allows for me, organization by the data type as well as for the deceased individuals.

Then came the question, do I have it on Zousho (my laptop)? I didn't, having Windows Office Professional 2003 installed so I loaded on the 2007 (and got very, very ticked off that Office doesn't allow selective installs and removals). So, now it's on my computer, which is where all the graveyard photographs, transcript indexes, maps, etc. are stored and I'll soon be digitally organizing away!

The hard copies of things, like the transcription forms, will still be organized an kept on hand, but as I do such a large amount of Optical Character Recognition it will mean less printouts to fill up my filing cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment