Saturday, March 20, 2010

Amusment of Typos

I find myself endlessly amused and enjoying various types of typos, whether they be online, on paper, or carved in stone.

On a Friday recently at the post office I saw a funeral announcement for a Algernon "Sonny" Holmes. This instantly gained my attention because of 'my' Algernon Holmes buried in Holy Trinity at Sturgeon Valley. (Sonny's obituary that followed in the weekly newspaper publication confirmed his identity as the 102 year old son of 'my' Algernon.)

His funeral notice however had me snicker I admit and wonder where exactly was "Shellbrook Cametery." What is a 'cametery'? And how in the world do you mistype that in this day and age with spell check on all document programs, emails, blogs, and associated? (Plus when I mistyped 'cemetery' on occasion in the beginning I was far more likly to type 'cemtery.')

Someone else caught the error though and informed the writers and when I went to work the following Monday the notice had been reprinted and reformatted with the correct spelling of "Shellbrook Cemetery."

No comments:

Post a Comment