Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Research In Setting Up "A Grave Undertaking"

Beyond the initial search for information regarding cemeteries in R.M. 493 there was a search into how does one correctly photograph grave markers, how does one transcribe a cemetery, preservation and restoration of graveyards, and a dozen and one other things that occur and learn about the more one because involved in cemeteries.

While I have borrowed from the regional library service all books under the category of “cemeteries”, “graves”, and “epitaphs” and their sub-catagories and expanded my search throughout the province and further. While the books were all enjoyable many were not relevant to my focus and/or to my area. So I once again turned to the Internet as a source of information.

The first search parameter I entered was “how to photograph gravestones” which turned up two very nice articles regarding the subject though one article, which was referenced by others, did have me searching the Internet in my attempt to successfully locate the actual article. So armed with their words of wisdom I moved onto researching the topic of how to transcribe.

Like previous there were many articles and websites located, one of which brought to me to my mind points to ponder -- in particular the interesting question of how to arrange the transcribe information: alphabetically or in order of burial? Alphabetical allows for quick location but burial location is also important, especially in family plots. The problem for me was solved when in my search I was directed to the Doukhobor Genealogy Website where they presented alphabetized transcripts and cemetery maps. The perfect solution in my opinion.

Searching on the topic of preservation and restoration lead to more articles, a video, and a book. Linking to this is identifying grave marker construction material (wood, slate, marble, sandstone, 'white bronze', limestone, bronze, granite) and what type of grave markers there are (upright, flat, pillow, plaques, crosses, etc.). There's so much to learn! That lead me into looking up cemetery terms learning their definitions and word origins and learning new words as well, like the lovely word “taphophile” of which I most definitely am one!

No comments:

Post a Comment